Man Utd Preview/Prediction - 2014/15 season

A look Ahead... Man Utd 2014/15


Hey Guys, since the new Premier league season is fast approaching to all us football fans, I thought I'd start a series called 'a look ahead' where I take a look and share with you my thoughts and opinions on some of teams that are playing in the Premier League this season. Now I won't be previewing all of the teams in the League since I don't really know the majority of teams such as the newly promoted clubs and some of the small clubs. So the only teams that I'll be looking at are the one's who'll be contesting for places in Europe and who are realistically got a good chance of reaching the top ten in the League. Just so you guys know up front, the statements and opinions that I put forward won't necessarily be correct, what I will say will be my own opinions backed up by factual evidence such as Team signings, Coaches, Formations, Team line-ups Etc. 

So the first team that I'll be looking at will be Man Utd since it is the team that I have supported ever since I can remember. Now looking back at my own time watching and supporting United, it is fair to say that I am lucky to have been watching a team that uses a blend of youth and world class signings to become so successful. My very first memory of watching United just epitomizes this point right to the needle. The game in question is of course the Champions League final against Bayern Munich in 1999. Now even though I was 4 years old on the day of May 26, it was also my Dad's birthday and boy was it a birthday he and I will never forget. The clear cut memory I have of the game and the night was obviously when Solskjaer toe poked it in that won them the Champions league to which sparked a massive roar from my Dad screaming at my tiny face in joy haha. Ever since then, it's amazing to see how United over the recent years have transformed and have always become a better team than they were a season previous. However, it's like I said before, I am lucky to have seen United become so successful in recent years and well... last season under David Moyes was probably a wake up call to not only me but to the rest of the United fans and of course the players who endured in that failed season. Last season finishing 7th in the league was just something I couldn't bare to cope with since we are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Personally I think the appointment of Moyes last July was truly an ambitious decision. We all knew deep down that we wouldn't be as destructive as the season before but the way Moyes handled things in terms of the signings in the Summer and Winter, team selection and the youth system frankly wasn't good enough. It could of been argued that the club overall should of done better for Moyes, but when it comes to this mammoth of a club, you're expected to win nearly every-single game. 

When I first heard the rumours about Louis Van Gaal being the new manager of United I was bit unsure. Admittedly I did think straight away that yes unlike Moyes he does have an impressive C.V when it came to winning trophies in different leagues with the biggest teams, but I was unsure if he was properly hungry to take on Man Utd and win a couple of trophies and then let Ryan Giggs become the top dog. After seeing what he did with Holland at the World Cup in Brazil.. I am now very excited as to what Van Gaal can offer and change. The thing that impressed me the most about Van Gaal was his tactics and strategy when it came to a certain situation that struck upon the Holland team within the World Cup. Obviously the best example of this was when Van Gaal boldly replaced goalkeepers anticipating an edgy penalty shoot-out with Costa Rica. I would hope that Van Gaal during a game against one of the big teams this upcoming season will do that whenever they are winning or losing. It is pretty much written in black and white now that Van Gaal will go ahead and utilise the 3-5-2/ 3-4-1-2 with Man United like he did with Holland. The only issue I have over this new attacking formation would be the defence and which players would play. Obviously Van Gaal in the pre-season is testing out players in different positions to test the players and whether he does need to sign any more players. Frankly I would go ahead and buy a defender with lots of potential, experience and youth to which can bring out the best between Smalling and Jones.
Mats Hummels: Ideal for Man Utd to get
My ideal signing that would fit the bill would be Mats Hummels since he was one of the key players for the World cup winners Germany and the fact that he has a lot of strength in the air which United defenders don't really have. The other defensive issue over this new formation would be the winger-back/wingers. I personally think Van Gaal will alternate that part depending on who they play so for instance if they play someone Like Man City, Van Gaal may opt for a more defensive approach whilst on the other hand if he played someone with a rather weak defensive, he might go all out attacking/pressing. As far as the Left Back situation is concerned with Evra Leaving to Juventus, I don't really think Man Utd need to spend on another Left Back to rival Shaw. From what I have seen on the pre-season so far, it would great if Reece James could be out back-up Left Back in place of Shaw this upcoming season. The way he plays going forward very much reminds me of Irwin who was himself good at going up-front. However it is highly probable that Van Gaal will probably sign another Left Back for insurance, my recommendation would be Rodriguez of Wolfsburg. As far as the Right Back position is concerned I think this will be a defining season for Rafael to really push on and become a flying Right Back. Its always good to have players like Valencia, Jones and Smalling who can all play in that position if anything happens to Rafael this season.



Now moving on to the midfield where I am personally feeling a bit up and down about. I think in terms of choosing which players to play in which position in midfield could be something Van Gaal has to choose carefully when a game is fast approaching the weekend. I would say from last seasons form, their are a few players within the Centre Midfield bunch who are itching to prove themselves. One of those players certainly to do that would be Tom Cleverley. If he doesn't perform on a consistent basis whenever he is called up to play, then surely their will be question marks over whether he should remain as a United Player. Fellaini is another one of those players that hasn't really got started to play his game yet. Even though the majority of fans will disagree when I say this but, Fellaini should really remain as a Defensive Midfield and cleans up the flow of attacks. If Man Utd are attacking however, I do expect a player of his B.F.G size to stomp in the oppositions area and flail about whenever the ball comes near his head; in the air he is deadly and we shouldn't be rubbishing this opportunity away. As far as the other Centre Midfield players are concerned I have no worries. We know Carrick will be out at the start of the season will which be perfect for a player like Herrera who'm from which I've seen already on pre-season can really be organized in the middle of the park. Like with Cleverley, the wingers of Young and Nani do need to watch out with how they play to be honest. When Nani signed for United back in 2007 and flared the stage with his skill and shooting, every Man Utd fan was thinking 'right we do have the next Cristiano Roanldo'. I think for Nani it's probably self-confidence more than anything; we know he has the capacity to blaze down the wing and produce something really awesome, so I am hoping that the old Nani returns this season. If he doesn't perform I think Van Gaal should REALLY look at Wilfried Zaha. I think I speak for all Man Utd fans when I say that, Zaha should really be a regular in the United set-up or at least a sub to add flair in a second half. I really hated it when Moyes offloaded him to Cardiff rather than not using him. Zaha with his explosive skill can really offer Man Utd and England (in the future) something dynamic and play like the old Man Utd. As for Juan Mata and Shinji Kagawa, nothing to fear with these two i'm glad to say. it's really satisfying to have these soughts of play-makers that can play through the middle and on occasion on the wing. Last but not the Youth of Midfield. Like with Januzaj (which I'm also expecting big things from this season), I do expect to see more youthful players to step such as Lingard and Andreas Perreira and really make a statement to themselves and the other Man Utd Midfield players to say 'Look what I can do!'.

Going Forward then I would say is really decent and doesn't really need to make a heavy change whatsoever. There is no debate depending on whether both players are fit but, Rooney and Van Persie are assured to start on the front-line and hopefully devastate and overwhelm teams with their finishing. One thing that I would like to see more is Danny Welbeck to become a striker and improve on his finishing. Obviously he did score a stunner against L.A Galaxy which could be an indication that Welbeck under Van Gaal in improving be we'll have to see. I like him to be more confident on the ball similar to how Daniel Sturridge was for Liverpool. As for Hernandez I think he'll remain as a super sub whenever we are in need of a goal. Nick Powell who played well for Wigan last season could be a player to show his stuff in one of the domestic cups alongside James Wilson, but England youthful players look to really prove themselves with the best.

Overall as a United, I am very excited as to how this upcoming season will pan out. Even though this new system of playing 3 at the back could be risky, at least it shows Van Gaal's immediate input and control under the scheme of things. Reflecting on last season, with Moyes there really wasn't anything that stood out apart from him implementing Januzaj a lot of the time. With Van Gaal however I am confident that we'll hit thr ground running and hard. In terms of winning a trophy this season I think that we will at least win something. Although we are not in Europe, I think in the end that'll play nicely to our hands in terms of the players fitness. Liverpool last season is good example to use in line with that point since they has no European football and were close to winning a League title. I reckon we will challenge for the number spot, get back into Europe and at least win either the League Cup or the F.A Cup.


Potential Team Line-ups:

My Man Utd Team using the 3-4-1-2:

                                                                     De Gea

                             Smalling                            Jones                             Evans

                                                 Herrera                         Fellaini
                                
Valencia                                                                                                                      Januzaj



                                                                       Mata

                                               Rooney                           Van Persie

Subs: Lindegaard, Shaw, Carrick, Nani, Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa



My Man Utd Team using the 4-4-2:


                                                                      De Gea

      Rafael                              Smalling                                            Jones                      Shaw





     Valencia                                                                                    Herrera                  Januzaj



                                           Mata


                                                                        Rooney



                                                                      Van Persie

Subs: Lindegaard, Carrick, Zaha, Welbeck, Hernandez, Evans, Kagawa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Film Review

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Film Review

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Film Review