Songs That I Grew Up With That I Always Listen To...

"You can tell a lot about a person by what's on their playlist."


Hello everyone and welcome to a rather different Blog Post. For this week, instead of me typically reviewing a film that has either been recently released or a film of my own choice, I wanted to do something a bit more fun and somewhat intersting. This will be a Blog Post where I basically tell you guys about the many songs that I grew up with and still listen today. Granted, there will be a few songs from different artists that came out a couple of years ago and, I''m not exactly the person to go to when it comes to music and what-not. Never the less, I did want to do something different for this week, since I've basically done the same thing for weeks on-end. Anyway, lets see what songs I've chosen!!... (Just a side-note, I'm not going to into detail with every song, I think some songs speak for themselves...)


Michael Jackson - Black or White (1991)

The first song to be placed onto this list is Michael Jackson's 'Black or White', a song that is upbeat compared to his other songs. Of course, there are many Michael Jackson songs that I still listen to from time-to-time and choosing a song from this artist to be put on this list, wasn't easy (I was tempted to put either 'Blood is on the Dance Floor or 'You Rock My World'). However, one of the reasons why I decided to choose 'Black or White', was because of the music video. When it comes to Jackson's music-videos, the majority of his short-films are very good and entertaining to watch. It's clear from his others songs and music videos that I still watch and listen to, that Jackson was always a visionary and a lover of classic film ('Smooth Criminal' and 'Ghosts' being good examples of this). With 'Black or White' however, I just love how zany and eccentric this song and music-video was when I grew up, and I always love listening and watching this particular song still. It just brings back some good memories...



Gorillaz - Dare (2005)

It would be criminal of me, if I didn't put a single Gorillaz song in a list of songs that I grew up with. My favourite, as you can see from the left, is the song called Dare which never truly gets boring to listen to. I mean, there are other notable Gorillaz songs that I could have mentioned, such as '19-2000' or 'Dirty Harry'. However, as distinctive and unique as the other Gorillaz' songs are, 'Dare' was always the song that stood out for me. It by far has one of the more strangest music-videos featuring a giant-disembodied Shaun Ryder head and various visual references to classic Horror films... (By the way, is anyone else excited about Gorillaz upcoming Album, I just hope it's good!!) :/


Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes (2006)

I'm not going to lie, this is probably one of my favourite personal music-videos that I've ever watched. As simple as may seem, just watching a video of a car journey through Paris, there's something soothing about what we see on screen, and the music that's playing the in the background. The build-up of the song as well, is just something that I love about the song and the instrumentals used...













Muse - Knight of Cydonia (2006)

...Oh, were you expecting an explanation of this instrumental paradise? Well, when you reach the rough 4 minute mark of the song, you'll know why it's such a good song!!... ;)












Young Guns - Daylight (2015)

Now, I know this song was released a year ago and really shouldn't be on this list of songs that 'I grew up with'. I just wanted to throw this song in here simply because, it's probably one of my favourite Young Guns songs and I do listen to it often. So yeah... haha (I promise, the list won't feature more songs and Young Guns' recent album 'Echoes' is pretty good too!!) :)








Suburbia - Always (2004)

The first of many songs that were from a sporting video-game series that me and my brothers religiously played when we were younger, 'Always' by Suburbia, is by one of may favourite songs from any FIFA game. It's just the amalgamation of the lyrics of the chorus and the indie-esque instrumentals that make this an old song that I always listen to. Again, it just reminds of the good times when these FIFA games were just so fun, but broken, to play. (The song does remind me of other things as well, not just playing FIFA to death against my brothers!! haha) :)




30 Seconds To Mars - Kings & Queens (2009)


Yeah, I only really started listening to 30 Seconds To Mars in 2009, even though they came about in the early 2000's. Despite this, one of the first songs that I did indeed listen to from 30 Seconds To Mars, was Kings and Queens;  a song that is filled with a nice blend of chorus chants in the background and a powerful voice from Leto. It's a catchy tune at the end of the day... 





Linkin Park - In The End (2000)

If there was anything that I had to get pumped up for, whether it was for a Chess match or even specifically before I go running, Linkin Park's 'In The End' is the song that I go to. While I may have first been aware of this song through a really good AMV on YouTube, the mesh of rap and metal really work with this song and does, honestly, hype you up; even when you're not doing anything!! haha...




Keane - Somewhere Only We Know (2004)

Probably one of the only songs on this little list to have been redone over and over again by numerous artists, Keane's 'Somwhere Only We Know was a song that propelled the artists to commercial and worldwide recognition; with other artists and films taking a liking to the mood of this musical piece. Like with what I have mentioned with Michael Jackson and Gorillaz, there are many Keane songs that I could have chosen to put on this list that still listen to. Nevertheless, along with their others songs like 'Spiralling' and 'Is I Any Wonder', 'Somewhere Only We Know' is a nice soft rock song to go back and listen to... 


Oasis - All Around the World (1997)

"If you're from Manchester, then it's your birth-right to love Oasis isn't it?"... A quote that I did hear during my time at University that isn't necessarily true. While I like the band, and this song especially, I do know one particular person who can go on a bit of rant of how 'overrated' Oasis are (I'm not going to name the person, for safety reasons!! haha). Anyway, I do typically listen to Oasis songs now and again. One of the songs that manages to creep up in my playlist, is indeed 'All Around the World', a lengthy symphonic rock piece that, for me anyway, is weirdly addicting to listen to... 


Florence + The Machine - Shake it Out (2011)

As shocked as people will be with this little entry in my list (I just know friendships will be broken when I share this list to everyone!!), 'Shake it Out' was one of the first songs that I listened to that Florence + The Machine had done and it's a very uplifting piece. Along with watching Friends and The Big Bang Theory. How I Met Your Mother was another American sitcom that I would just naturally watch after a day of High-School of College and one of the things that I noticed about the show, was the great selection of songs that used to create the mood of scenario (Bloc Party's song 'Modern Love' being a good example of this). One song that stood out was though, was 'Shake It Out' which reflected the character of Ted's need to move on from the heart-ache that he's endured. It's definitely a song that is nice to listen to every once and a while...


Lost Prophets - Burn Burn (2004)

Continuing my trend of FIFA songs now, Lost Prophets' 'Burn Burn' was another song, like 'Always', which was a fun favourite to listen to whenever I played FIFA 2004. It's funny drastically different it is compared to the last song that I just talked about. But, similar to 'In The End', 'Burn Burn' was, and still is, a good motivating song. Simple as that really...







College & Electric Youth - A Real Hero (2011)

Nicholas Winding Refn's film of Drive, a film that I implore people to watch if you haven't seen it, is a film that not only features great cinematography and lighting, but also employs a great soundtrack that fits in well with the many scenarios that occur in this film that I rank highly. One of the songs that stands in this film, and is played twice in the duration of this film, is College and Electric Youth's synth-pop title, 'A Real Hero'. As much as it metaphorically summarises the protagonist of Drive, the song it int's own right, is nice and soothing and always reminds how good Refn's film is to back and watch...


Frou Frou - Let Go (2002)

Moving from one film to another, is Zach Braff's directorial debut film of Garden State which features Frou Frou's 'Let Go'. As I'm sure most of you went and watched, Scrubs was another show that I would naturally watch on a boring weekend afternoon that featured a funny Zach Braff. My curiosity got the better of me one time and I discovered Garden State, a film that stars and is directed by Braff that echoes said persons true being. While the 'Let Go' contrasts to what we see on screen at the very end of the film, it's another soothing song that I would listen to to just relax...



The Verve - Love Is Noise (2008)

Love is noise... Love is pain. While it may not be as iconic as the well versed 'Bitter Sweet Symphony', which is also good, there's just something about 'Love Is Noise' that keeps me listening to it consistently. 








Idlewild - You Held The World In Your Arms (2002)

I wouldn't be surprised if people don't know this particular artist/song choice... That's because it's from another FIFA game!! haha (specifically FIFA 2003). FIFA 2003 was really the first FIFA game that me and brothers played and it stands out for being a game that had some cool music. I could have easily chosen the remixed versions of either Avril Lavigne's 'Complicated' or Timo Maas' 'Time To Get Down' to replace this song choice. However, I just remember the time when I heard Idlewild's song on the PS2, and I was just thinking "WOAH". I mean, I was 8 years old and couldn't properly play the game. But still, the guitar solo in the middle and the name of the song, is just so cool...


Pendulum - Propane Nightmares (2008)

A good electronic-rock song, although I can understand why people may turn away from this song, 'Propane Nightmares', performed by Pendulum, is a song that nicely moulds together subtle trumpet instrumentals with the electronic synthesise. I'm not really a person that directly listens to genre's of electronic or dance, as some of these songs tend to be the same as each other. However, with 'Propane Nightmares', it is different with the amount of instrumentals that are in fact used...




Embrace - Ashes (2004)

The last of the 'FIFA' songs to talk about is a song called 'Ashes' performed by Embrace. Specifically, this song was on the 2006/7 version of FIFA which is by far, one of the best football games that there is on the PS2 being that it had so much to offer in terms of unlockables and different game modes. Like with the other 'FIFA' entries that I have talked about, these games bring along with a great selection os different songs; 'Ashes' being one of them. It's just a nice subtle rock song that never gets old in listening to...




Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby (2007)

Another song that never gets old to listen to, is Kasier Chiefs' 'Ruby'. A song that is seriously addicting, especially when the chorus has the lyrics of "Ruby Ruby Ruby RUBY!!" in it....








The Killers - Mr. Brightside (2003)

Being one of James Blunts favourite songs, 'Mr.Brightside' is next on my list. I remember vaguely listening to this once going to School in the morning just thinking, like I did with the Idlewild song on this list, "WOAH". The Killers themselves have a nice array of songs that are tuneful, with 'Mr Brightside' being one of them.






Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (2003)

To put this into context hahaha. No, I was never an emo or a 'mosher' (although I was called that a lot back in Primary School), but, this was one of those songs that I'm sure most people have listened to! For instance, if, at any-time, you were feeling rubbish and cruddy from something that you did or witnessed in one day, this would be the song I listened to. It was, and still is, a very catchy song that I'm sure people have heard before... (If you haven't, then feel free to slate me!! haha)




Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away (2004)

If you've ever played HALO 2 or have watched a trailer for said game, then I don't think I need to explain much about this song. All I'm going to say, is that it has epic rock instrumentals... yeah.









Coldplay - Talk (2005)

The last entry to be placed on this little list of mine, is of course Coldplay and their song 'Talk'. Even though 'Speed of Sound' was technically the first song that I listened to that Coldplay had done in 2005, I wasn't really gripped with at first with their songs. 'Talk', which was released later in 2005, was when I started to like the band and ever since, they've made songs in recent years that are just so good to listen to. Honestly, similar to how I was picking my Michael Jackson song at the very beginning, choosing a Coldplay song that I grew up with and still listen to, was hard. I can understand if people don't necessarily like what Coldplay produce. But, in my opinion, I think they produce a good variety of musical features...



With that, I think I'll end the list there. So, I hope you have enjoyed this rather different Blog Post that I have done. As I said at the beginning, I'm not really an 'expert' when it comes to music, artists and songs. reflecting on what I've put on this list, I would say that I have a nice variety of songs that I listen to. Of course, most of it is Rock music. However, I would like to do this again, where I talk about other songs that I grew up with and still listen to. I definitely would like to do a list of my favourite Film music/themes. I could try to do that for Christmas time I guess. Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed the read as always. If you have any song that you grew up and still listen to, feel free to drop a comment down below. I will be back later this week with a 'Halloween-esque' film review where I'll be tackling a film that definitely divides people in opinion. I can't wait to get that up for you all. Once again, thank you for checking this random but fun Blog Post. I'll see you later!! Adieu!! :)

Alex Rabbitte.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Film Review

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Film Review

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Film Review